Saturday, October 7, 2017

Sharing - My Project List

Yesterday, I posted about the importance of sharing versus "hoarding" the results of our research. In the interest of full disclosure here's a list of my completed, in-progress, and future family history projects:



"Who We Are and How We Got This Way - Volume 1: Alan Samuel" (my dad)

"Who We Are and How We Got This Way - Volume 2: Doris Lichtenthal" (my mom)
 Volumes 1 and 2 have been in draft form since at least 2014. Hopefully, I can return to them once I complete my current project.




"Who We Are and How We Got This Way - Volume 3: The Sixth Family"
This volume will share the story of me and my siblings.

"Reparations" 
Still in "the hopper" is the story of my grandfather, Paul Lichtenthal, who was imprisoned in Dachau and Buchenwald. I successfully obtained some reparations for my mother, the culmination of a lifetime effort by Paul and his father, Sigmund Lichtenthal.

"You Can't Fall Off the Floor - and Other Musings"
Not necessarily a typical family history, this book idea is inspired by something my Dad once told me.




"Our Archipelago - newly edited edition" 
In 2016, my sister-in-law and I published a new edition of our father-in-law's family history book, originally written in 1976.

"Letters Home"
In 2015, I published a volume of letters written by my mother. I found them in a shoebox after her passing in 2011. The letters, written home to her mother, chronicle the two years she spent as a young wife and new mom in Japan, 1955-1956.




"Mom, Minis, and Me"
Almost ready to print!! A short history of the miniatures hobby shared by my mom and myself.

"Sweet Grandmother or Slick Swindler?"
This story has consumed me for at least two years. A chance finding of a newspaper article while working on "Our Archipelago" led me on a fascinating journey into the life of my husband's great-grandmother. Known to the family as "a sweet, gentle, almost frail woman", she apparently spent years running con games throughout Illinois, Kansas, and Missouri during the late 1890s and early 1900s. The book is in its final edit and I can't wait to share the finished product!



Whew! Compiling this list, I realize just how much work I have done on my family over the years. It's time to get these stories written, published and shared!! Stay in touch - there's more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment