Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Opinions Wanted!!

What do you think? I'm "crowd-sourcing" for an answer! I know what I think, but I may be just seeing what I want to see. Compare these two NY censuses. Do you think these are the same family? Both censuses are for the city of Albany in New York. Unfortunately (and strangely) I haven't located a similar family in the 1860 US Census. Note: although the last name is written "KINNEY" it is really "KENNY" - this was verified by looking for KINNEYS in Albany city directories


Ancestry.com. New York, State Census, 1855 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2013.

Ancestry.com. New York, State Census, 1865 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014.
Now - here is Part Two of my question: I am trying to recreate Catherine's early life. I have NO BIRTH CERTIFICATE, immigration information (if she even was born in Ireland as she occasionally said) nor a marriage certificate. She lied on pretty much every form she completed as as adult, so her death certificate is really of little use. The question is: Do you think the Catherine in the 1855 census above is my Catherine?

Here's what I do know:

  • Catherine was probably born between 1834-1840
  • Catherine's mother was named Mary Allen.
  • Catherine's father had the last name Kenney.
  • Catherine married in 1860 so she would not be in the family home in 1865.
  • Catherine had a sister named Frances (Information verified from a letter she wrote). 
  • Mary (Catherine's mother) had a "William" listed on her probate papers as "next-of-kin" 
  • Mary named her daughters in her will: Teresa, Maria and Catherine.Frances was her executrix.
Post your opinions in the comments. I'm interested to see if I can finally solve this riddle with the help of my genealogy friends!!


2 comments:

  1. Well there is a Rose Ann/Rosa in the census records and no Mary. Do you have any reason to believe that she was also called Mary? You need to account for that difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean you have found a similar family with a Rose Ann/Rosa and no Mary in censuses other than the three I have posted so far? Supposedly, Catherine also had another sister named Maria, but I haven't found them living together at any point. Mary - the mother, was living with daughter Francis in 1880. She died somewhere around 1884.

      Delete