Saturday, October 14, 2017

JGSCT Presentation - Sunday Oct. 15 - "Sex, Lies, and Genealogical Tape"

I am really looking forward to Sunday's talk at the JGSCT (Jewish Genealogical Society of Connecticut.) Ron Arons will be giving his talk "Sex, Lies, and Genealogical Tape. Ron tours the country giving educational and entertaining presentations on Jewish criminals and Jewish genealogy. (I stole that description straight from his website.)

One my favorites was on Mind Mapping - using a graphic organizer to help solve complex problems. Using this tool, I was able to untangle a really complicated scenario. Yup - of course - my current project, my husband's great-grandmother! (Seriously - her life story is addictive!)


To the left of the mind map are the questions I needed to answer.
The right side lists all the aliases Catherine used and the censuses she appeared in


This mind map helped me to compare the information from some of the many newspaper articles I found about Catherine.

On Sunday, Ron will present a case study where the subject lies on pretty much every document on which he was listed. Now I'm not saying Catherine purposely lied, but I would have to say she played fast and loose with the truth. As a result, trying to recreate an accurate chronology of her life has been a tad tricky. 

I'm looking forward to finding out how Ron finally untangled his ancestor's story.

By the way, the JGSCT meeting is free and open to the public. (I probably should have posted this earlier!!) 

For more information on the JGSCT and to get information on the time and location, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment